There are some excellent health benefits for those of us that eat mung beans regularly. These tiny small green beans are very popular all over the world, especially in Asia.
All beans contain good amounts of protein but mung beans excel at this. The best mung beans health benefits are found in sprouted ones. To make them you place some beans in a bowl of water. After 6-8 hours you replace the water for approx. 3 days. This produces sprouted mung beans which can then be stored in the refrigerator for around 2 weeks.
Sprouted mung beans are an excellent ingredient to have on hand. They can be used raw in salads or sprinkled over a poached egg on toast for breakfast. They can be placed on the side of your favorite dishes too. They can also be boiled or steamed. Please note that cooking any type of food reduces the nutritional content so it is better to serve them raw or lightly cooked. Steamed is better than boiled.
Mung Beans Health Benefits include:
– They contain large amounts of vitamins including vitamin A, E, B and C.
– They are fantastic for vegetarians or anyone wishing to cut down on meat as they contain large amounts of protein.
– Contain minerals including iron, potassium and calcium.
– Mung beans are high in fiber which aids digestion.
– They could be good for those with diabetes because they contain complex carbohydrates which help lower blood sugar levels.